|Location||SA. South Africa|
|Salary||R250k – R200k|
A leading Consulting Engineering firm is looking for a Junior Engineer, to be based in South Africa.
• Is registered with ECSA as a Candidate Engineer.
• Has theoretical knowledge assumed to be in place in a graduate engineer.
• Is able to blend theoretical knowledge with technical, workplace skills acquired during coaching/mentoring sessions by senior engineers;
• Is able to discuss technical theory applicable to a project and use technical knowledge to discuss technical challenges and offer meaningful insights;
• Able to perform delegated engineering tasks under incrementally less supervision from the engineer responsible for the project;
• Carries out all his/her tasks and duties in a thoroughly professional and efficient manner;
• Contributes to industry well-being through regular attendance at industry functions and institutions meetings;
•Is self-motivated and effectively manages own time;
• Submits timesheets, leave applications, mileage claims etc, accurately and timeously;
Project Management :
• Assign work, check and manage work allocated to more junior engineers, technicians or draughtspeople where applicable;
• Co-ordinate and take responsibility for all aspects of a small project or a portion of a larger project;
• Program need to ensure that deadlines are met on the project or portions of the project for which he/ she is responsible; Ensure that all designs, reports and drawings produced by him/her are checked and signed off at the required level;
• Assist in compiling accurate project cost estimates and cash flow projections. Carry out cost/benefit analyses;
• Ensure that all drawings produced by him/her are signed and issued to site timeously;
• Effectively deal with queries from site staff, enlisting the help of supervisors where required;
• Attend and constructively contribute to design meetings and site meetings;
• Take notes and produce minutes of meetings. Ensure that minutes are approved by the person chairing the meeting and distribute minutes no later than one week after the meeting;
• Draft project related letters for signature by the relevant Project Manager;
• Receive and check contractor’s payment certificates. Once verified correct, arrange for signature by the relevant project manager/project director;
• Ensure that all aspects of the project under his/her control are handling strictly in accordance with the Hatch Goba OPS;
• Make effective use of support staff where applicable;
Design, Documentation and Reporting:
• Develop proficiency in relevant CAD packages;
• Carry out and file regular hand checks on the output of CAD packages.
• Produce preliminary designs to the required level of accuracy and develop different options discussion with the project manager;
• Carry out detailed designs strictly in accordance with the relevant codes and specifications. Take responsibility for accuracy and get checked and signed off at required level.
• When required, carry out research into technically challenging aspects of the project or consult in-house subject matter experts for advice;
• Delegate aspects of the work to more junior engineers/technicians. Take responsibility for briefing them properly and checking their work;
• Accurately brief draughtspeople on drawing requirements and check all drawings produced for technical correctness and accuracy;
• Produce accurate, concise, technically correct reports on the aspects of the work assigned to them. Ensure that the reports are grammatically corrected and free of typing/spelling errors before submitting to superior for checking/approval;
• Produce project specifications based on the applicable standard specifications. Take responsibility for ensuring technical correctness and accuracy;
• Interface with other engineering disciplines and support functions engaged on the same project;
• Consult with other subject matter experts e.g. other engineers, architects, landscape architects, environmental scientists etc and integrate own work into overall Project Scope;
• Proactively communicate and liaise with all pertinent stakeholders related to a project;
• Where applicable, measure the works and produce accurate bills of quantities in line with the standard and project specifications;
• Compile tender documents (or portions thereof) for small projects based on the relevant General Conditions of Contract CID, Regulations and specific client requirements;
• Identify Health and Safety Risks on a project and produce the Health and Safety Specifications;
• Integrate the requirements of the Environmental Report into the Tender Documentation;
• Attend site inspections, take and circulate site inspection minutes, as applicable;
• Assist in adjudicating tenders and producing tender reports (or aspects thereof) in accordance with the client’s and CIDB requirements and have signed off at the required level;
• On award, assist in compiling the Contract Document;
• Assist the project manager in carrying out the Head Office supervision of the Contract;
• Timeously produce as-built drawings, compile any completion reports that may be required and get signed off at the required level
Developing Self and Others:
• Actively participate in the mentorship program;
• Communicate effectively with others – listen actively and share own ideas articulately;
• Display interest and curiosity in respect of workplace learning – (asks questions and retains information).
• Persevere and follow through all tasks and activities;
• Extract learning from failure;
• Seek opportunities to support team, peers and line manager – display proactive drive for success and is independently diligent;
• Assume incrementally more responsibility and display comfort with accountability and responsibility;
• Provide technical guidance and mentorship to lower-level engineers, technicians, technologist or draughtpersons working on the same projects as ‘self”
• Attend local industry seminars, workshops and site visits as part of your training experience;
• Take post-graduate courses in line with own and company development requirements.
Participate in Industry committees and institutions at junior level;
Should you meet the requirements for this position, please email your CV, with project details, to email@example.com. You can also contact Laura, Corlia or Heather on 011 234 6868/9.
Correspondence will only be conducted with short listed candidates. Should you not hear from us within 14 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.
or email us: engineering.jobs(at)staffingprojects.co.za